Elgin City 2 East Fife 1

Elgin contined to build on last week's performance by taking the game to East Fife. Good chasing by William Martin created an opening for Stephen Donnachie, but Scottt Morrison reacted quickest. Captain James McKenzie then fired in a 30-yard shot before Adam Nelson curled an effort from the edge of the box which was cleared off the line.

Once again Martin was the centre of attention after collecting Donnachie's pass, but his effort fell safely into the hands of Morrison.

In the 15th minute Elgin should have opened the scoring but once again found Morrision in top form. McKenzie's free-kick from 30 yards cannoned back off the post and fell to Donnachie, whose instinctive prod looked to be heading for the back of the net until Morrison somehow clawed the ball away.

Just before the break Elgin got the breakthrough they deserved. A corner from the right was only partially cleared for Nelson to re-deliver for Martin Harty, unmarked at the back post, to head his second goal of the season.

The second half started as the first ended, Elgin forcing the game. Martin had the best chance but substitute Kris Brash did well to intercept before he could inflict damage.

East Fife were handed a lifeline when Hugh Dickson was adjudged to have fouled Jonathan Mitchell in the area when he looked to have played the ball. From the resulting penalty, Steven Nicholas stepped up to coolly slot the ball pas Kieront Renton low to his right. After the goal East Fife began to force Elgin back more but still had to be wary of the City attack. Substitute Pat Vigurs had Elgin's best chance to put City ahead.

With around five minutes to go Elgin were given the chance to win the match when they were bizarrely handed a penalty for what seemed a push in the area. McKenzie stepped up and tucked the ball to the far right-hand post past despairing Morrison.

Elgin thoroughly deserved all three points, albeit by a stroke of luck. Both sides tried to play football, but on the day Elgin were able to convert their chances.